Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Book Review: Sergio Makes a Splash by Edel Rodriguez

Sergio Makes a Splash is an ADORABLE book by Edel Rodriguez, who is also the illustrator. Sergio the penguin is afraid to swim, even though he LOVES water. Eventually he is persuaded by his teacher and classmates and jumps into the ocean! Of course, he loves it, and can't wait to go back!

I used this book with my Kindergarten field experience class, but I would rate it Pre-k-1st grade. It has cute pictures, uses limited colors to enhance the type, and throws in a few facts about penguins. Before reading I asked my kiddos what they knew about penguins. After reading we did a Think-Pair-Share about what we were afraid to do the first time (riding a bike, etc.). They loved it! I love it too, this will definitely make it into either my classroom's, my kiddo's, or my nephew's library. Or maybe all three!

Rodriguez, Edel. Sergio Makes a Splash. New York: Little, Brown and Company, 2008. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment